Australia Day is the perfect excuse to get together with friends and family over a BBQ! And what better way to celebrate than with Lamb and salads! Here are some of my favourite Australia Day Recipes, be sure to give them a go at your Australia Day BBQ.
Let’s start with some salads:
Quinoa, Bean & Mixed Veggie Salad
This salad is really simple to make – just pick and choose your ingredients to suit. It will make quite a bit, but it will also last a few days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container (if you have any left after your BBQ!)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 fresh lime or lemon
- 1 tin mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 packet of spinach leaves
- Selection of seasonal vegetables (e.g. carrot, capsicum, corn, cucumber, avocado), finely sliced
- Handful mixed seeds
How to Make it:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve! Simple!
Green Summer Salad
With these ingredients all in season, its the perfect salad to serve on Australia Day. This will serve 4.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trim the woody ends and cut into about 8cm lengths
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 glove of garlic crushed
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 bag or bunch of spinach, washed and dried and shred
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or quarters if they are big!)
How to make it:
- Cook the asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water for about 3-4 mins or until they are bright green and tender but still crisp. Rinse under cold running water and drain well.
- While this is cooking, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic in a small jug until well combined. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Combine the asparagus, spinach and tomato in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Serve with one of the above lamb dishes
You will need 12 bamboo skewers
- 1kg of diced lamb
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/3 cup of fresh Rosemary roughly chopped
How to make it:
- You will need to soak the skewers in a shallow dish for about 30mins, then drain
- While they are soaking, you can make the marinade. Combine all the ingredients (except the lamb) into a bowl, add some salt and pepper to taste if you like. Mix well.
- Thread the lamb into skewers and place in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over. Turn the skewers to they are covered in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the BBQ plate on high until hot. Cook skewers, continue to baste them with the marinade. Cook for approx 3 mins each side or until they are cooked through.
- Serve with a side salad
Open Lamb Burgers
When you think of burgers, most people will think of a beef or chicken burger. But we are going to change it up and make some Lamb burgers! These are really simple and taste delicious. Perfect for your Australia Day BBQ.
Ingredients: (this amount will serve approx 4 people)
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 egg
- 1/2 a teaspoon of crushed ginger – approx 2-3cm. I love ginger, so tend to add a bit more!
- 1/2 a teaspoon of crushed garlic – approx 1-2 cloves, depending on preference.
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried mint
How to make them:
- Place the lamb mince, eggs, ginger, garlic and herbs into a mixing bowl and mix well. Form the mixture into patties.
- Preheat the BBQ on a medium to high heat and lightly oil
- Cook on the grill for approx 3 mins each side or medium well.
- Serve with a salad and a dollop of greek yoghurt.
Yours in good health